The doctor ordered to reduce the dose of Taxol to 80% from today.
Doctors usually recommend patients to stay on the same regimen unless it loses effectiveness or the side effects are too much.
I heard of someone who has been on Taxol for 4 years, but I have been struggling with the side effects such as numbness/tingling of fingers and toes, cramps, stiffness of legs, swelling, etc for 7 months since I started Taxol.
As I shared my concern of the symptoms, my cancer-friend, who first recommended I take Taxol, said she has reduced the dose of Taxol .
So, I asked the doctor if I could do the same. The doctor listened to my request, but I doubt my decision again wondering what if the “suspicious adenoppathy” was cancer; maybe I should’ve waited to reduce the dose until I see the next CT result.
I even reduced the dose of Tykerb from 5 to 4 pills due to diarrhea last week. The doctor let me decide how many pills to take, and although the diarrhea has stopped, I haven’t changed the dose yet. Because this weekend I will play Christmas carols at a nursing home and next weekend George and I will be out of town, I intend to stay on 4 pills until I come back from our short trip.
I am not sure if I am doing the right thing or not, while doctors say how aggressive my cancer is. Yet controlling the side effects is also important. Everything is gambling and I have to ask God to take care of me even if my decision is wrong!